The INFRARISK project deals with Novel Indicators for identifying critical Infrastructure at Risk form Natural Hazards. This project has received funding form European Union’s Seventh Programme for research, Technological development and demonstration under grant agreement No.603960
Scope of Work:
The Infrarisk project focuses on:
- Landslide, flood and earthquake risk analysis
- Developing a stress test structure for specific natural hazards on Critical Infrastructure networks (with a focus on the TEN-T roal and rail network) and a framework for linear infrastructure system with wider extents and many nodal points.
- This project considers the impacts of earthquakes, slope failure, mass movement , and flooding on European roads, highways and railroads.
- Facilitating implementation through the development of GIS based stress test algorithms for complex infrastructure networks.
- Testing the framework developed through the simulation of complex case studies
GDG's role in the project is to provide expertise on the analysis of flood and landslide risks and to formulate advanced risk management tools to allow infrastructure managers from the road and rail industry manage risks posed by natural hazards, such as earthquakes and floods. A particular feature of this project is the consideration of extreme Black Swan and cascading effects.
GDG is the leader of the work package on “Risk Profiling of Natural Hazards and Infrastructure”. The objective of this work package is to create a database of critical infrastructure in Europe, identify the risks posed by natural hazard events considering the geographical correlation between elements of critical infrastructure and extreme natural hazard events and develop methods to estimate the effects of climate change on the occurrence of natural hazards.