Marine / Civil Geotechnical / Structural Engineer
Experience level: 3+ years’ experience
GDG is a specialist engineering consultancy, providing innovative solutions across a broad range of civil engineering sectors. We have offices in Dublin, Cork, Belfast, London and Edinburgh. Our clients include large civil and building contractors, project developers and engineering consulting firms. We also offer forensic engineering and expert witness services to the Insurance and Legal sectors. Our principal areas of expertise are Infrastructure, Onshore Renewables, Ports and Harbour, Structures, Offshore and Research & Development.
This role will support our Marine Civil Engineering design activities. This role will report to our Head of Ports & Harbours and will be based in Belfast.
Your role will be predominantly office-based and will involve leading projects and working on analysis and design activities and supervising graduate engineers and technicians. Our order book has a healthy balance of marine structures, geotechnical interpretation and general foundation design for clients. The clients for these projects vary from working directly with end user clients to carrying out D&B designs for top-tier contractors.
You will be responsible for carrying out or reviewing structural designs, specifications, and the preparation of reinforced concrete detailing packages. This will include leading teams in the areas of retaining wall design, structural design and production of design reports. The role may also involve inspection work on site and occasional site visits.
Key responsibilities will also include:
- Marine / civils design including the design of retaining structures
- Reinforced concrete design
- Structural steel design
- Supervising more junior staff
- Preparing and contributing to design reports
- Reviewing bar bending schedules and reinforcement detailing
- Preparation of structural specifications
- Foundation design
- Slab and pavement design
- Retaining wall design
- Temporary works design
- Structural Inspections
GDG are looking for a suitable candidate with prior capabilities working as a marine / geotechnical / structural engineer. The ideal candidate will hold a technical background within civil / structural engineering with 3+ years of relevant design experience, particularly in reviewing structural / geotechnical analyses, reinforced concrete detailing and material specifications. Experience with marine civils structures is preferred but is not essential.
In addition, the ideal candidate shall have:
- Experience in working with retaining wall design software such as WALLAP, FREW and / or Plaxis 2D / 3D
- Experience with structural software packages, ideally MIDAS, Masterseries
- Experience of RC design and Steel Design
- Experience reviewing reports and drawings
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in English.
- Candidates should also be highly organised and motivated individuals with effective communication skills, a good work ethic, and a commitment to technical excellence, personal efficiency, and career progression through Continued Professional Development.
Candidates should also be highly organised and motivated individuals with effective communication skills, a good work ethic, and a commitment to technical excellence, personal efficiency, and career progression through Continued Professional Development.
This is a full time, permanent position. Salary is dependent on experience.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications will be treated in the strictest of confidence.
At GDG, we are committed to inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We take inclusion and diversity seriously. We know that getting this right is critical for us to live our organisation’s values. We are always trying to improve our way of working to be more inclusive and equal. We are an equal opportunity employer. Our vision is for GDG to be a place where people of all ethnicities feel welcomed to work.