Civil Engineers and Designers
Experience level: 5-10 years
GDG is a specialist engineering consultancy, providing innovative solutions across a broad range of civil engineering sectors. We have offices in Dublin, Cork, Belfast, London and Edinburgh. Our clients include large civil and building contractors, project developers and engineering consulting firms. We also offer forensic engineering and expert witness services to the Insurance and Legal sectors. Our principal areas of expertise are Infrastructure, Onshore Renewables, Ports and Harbour, Structures, Offshore and Research & Development.
This role will support our growing Infrastructure Engineering design activities. The successful candidate will report to our Head of Infrastructure (UK). The role is ideally based in Edinburgh, but we are interested in hearing from good candidates across Ireland and the UK. Your role will be predominantly office-based and will involve leading projects and working on analysis and design activities and supervising project and graduate engineers. Our order book has a healthy balance of infrastructure, onshore wind infrastructure, water infrastructure and general foundation design projects for clients. Many of these projects are carried out as D&B designs for top-tier contractors.
You will be responsible for carrying out or reviewing civil designs, specifications, and the preparation of RC detailing packages. This will include leading or working with teams in the areas of structural design and production of design reports. The role may also involve site inspections and supervision as the need arises.
Key responsibilities will also include:
- Civil design works for infrastructure, renewable and environmental projects;
- Temporary Works design;
- Project management and client liaison;
- Design and delivery of civil design packages;
- Management and mentoring of graduate and design level engineers;
- Collaboration with CAD and GIS specialists;
- Quality assurance including review of reports, drawings, calculations, software outputs;
- Design risk management;
- Providing support to other sectors within GDG from time to time;
- Contract management;
- Bid preparation and business development.
GDG are looking for a suitable candidates with a strong civil design background. Engineers will hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Civil/Structural Engineering with at least 10 years relevant post graduate experience. Designers will hold relevant qualifications and have at least 10 years’ experience working on infrastructure related designs.
In addition, the ideal candidates shall have:
- Attained Chartered Engineer status or be actively working towards Chartership.
- For designers’ membership of a relevant professional body at an appropriate level.
- Strong experience of onshore wind, road, environmental and general infrastructure projects.
- Construction experience.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience in civil and structural software packages (Civil 3D, Midas, Tedds).
- A basic understanding of geotechnical engineering.
- Project and team management experience.
- A full clean driver’s licence.
- Candidates should also be highly organised and motivated individuals with effective communication skills, a good work ethic, and a commitment to technical excellence, personal efficiency, and career progression through Continued Professional Development.
Please send your resume to email@example.com.
All applications will be treated in the strictest of confidence.
At GDG, we are committed to inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We take inclusion and diversity seriously. We know that getting this right is critical for us to live our organisation’s values. We are always trying to improve our way of working to be more inclusive and equal. We are an equal opportunity employer. Our vision is for GDG to be a place where people of all ethnicities feel welcomed to work.