Senior Structural Engineer – Offshore Wind
- Full time / Part time
The Offshore Design Team at GDG supports clients with a range of specialist services including structural and geotechnical design of foundations for offshore wind. We are a team of engineers, mostly Mater’s or PhD qualified, that support clients on a broad range of specialist topics in the area of foundation and cable design for offshore wind with innovative solutions. To grow our in-house expertise, we are looking for a hands-on experienced structural engineer who can collaborate effectively with fellow team members and support our project delivery works providing high-quality technical input.
As a Senior structural engineer you will be working closely with a passionate and ambitious team of design engineers to deliver innovative and optimized solutions. You will also be responsible for taking the deliverables through third-party certification, fabrication and installation phases. We are looking for engineers with primary and/or secondary steel design experience within the offshore wind sector. It is expected that you will provide technical support to tenders and that you will support and mentor the career development of junior engineers.
Key responsibilities will also include:
- Primary steel design (monopile, jacket and/or GBS)
- Secondary steel design development
- Interface with wind turbine manufacturer, where relevant
- Interface with certification bodies
- Design Review / Owner’s Engineer Role
- In-House Design tool development
- Supervising more junior staff
GDG is looking for a suitable candidate with prior experience with the delivery of primary steel and/or secondary steel detailed design and will have a very strong technical understanding of the design process for offshore wind foundations. The candidate will have excellent report writing and presentation skills and will be comfortable communicating and leading a team of offshore design engineers.
In addition, the ideal candidate shall have the following technical skills:
- Experience in linear and non-linear structural analysis (ULS, FLS, ALS, ELE/ALE)
- Experience in linear and non-linear Finite Element Analysis and SCF Calculation
- Experience in load iteration process and interface wind turbine suppliers.
- Experience in using SESAM for offshore wind modules is preferred
- Experience in leading teams of primary steel engineers to deliver complete packages of work, as well as being the main point of contact for technical discussions with clients
- Good understanding of the overall design philosophy for secondary steel and project specific applications
- Proven track record of delivering secondary steel design for offshore wind following the latest health and safety requirements and considering the full life cycle of the structure from fabrication and installation through to decommissioning
- Ability to work closely with a team of CAD technicians to deliver aligned design concepts
- Experience in leading teams of secondary steel engineers to deliver complete packages of work, as well as being the main point of contact for technical discussions with clients
The following skill sets are sought in all candidates:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to communicate clearly & concisely in English, both verbally & in writing
Candidates should also be highly organised and motivated individuals with effective communication skills, a good work ethic, and a commitment to technical excellence, personal efficiency, and career progression through Continued Professional Development.
This is a full-time, permanent position. Salary is dependent on experience.
All applications will be treated in the strictest of confidence.
At GDG, we are committed to inclusion and diversity in everything we do. We take inclusion and diversity seriously. We know that getting this right is critical for us to live our organisation’s values. We are always trying to improve our way of working to be more inclusive and equal. We are an equal opportunity employer. Our vision is for GDG to be a place where people of all ethnicities feel welcomed to work.